Kris, one of the volunteers at the CLRC is a recent George Mason grad and is also an avid rock climber. He invited me, Devin and Alberto, one of our amigos from the center, to come out for a rock climbing adventure this past week. So off we went, the four of us to Great Falls Park for a day trip of not only climbing but climbing REAL rocks! This past spring I spent time at The Den (indoor rock climbing at Gettysburg), but never had I done much legit outdoor climbing. It was such a beautiful place and fun & challenging to be back climbing! I believe the tallest we did was 60 ft...and yes, we all returned safe & sound (not sore at all...).
DANCING.
uno: contra line dancing
Melanie, a friend who was an intern here a few years ago, invited me to join her, Carlos, Kris and Alberto to go contra dancing on Friday night. What is contra dancing anyways? Well, here is a handy link to a youtube video of a past event at the same place I went: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71Ui3ygyYY (go to 0:40 for dancing). Constantly changing partners for every dance, I got to meet a lot of people and learn a bunch of different routines. Glen Echo is one extraordinary place as an old amusement park that has been turned into a dancing hub with all sorts of venues and events, such as an outdoor swing night in an old bumper car arena. It was like I walked into some fantasy land or something!
dos: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe
Saturday afternoon, I ventured to Bethesda, MD with Jerry & Alice's family, including 3 of their 4 kids and their grandchildren. We all went to see The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe put on with actors, dancers, puppets and more. Dancers from the Washington Ballet Company performed as if they were doubles of the 4 kids in the story line. Really unique idea and lots of incredibly talented dancers.
tres: liturgical dancing
This was our last Sunday at Wellspring UCC and I was honored with the privilege to dance during the service. Many people who I've met through either the church, CIF or the center came out to support us and bid farewell, as Devin & I each said a little something about our experiences this summer. I absolutely loved getting up there and dancing to praise music. It is a huge blessing that I have to be able to dance to express myself and praise God!
FRIENDS.
Enrique, Carlos, Melanie, Miki, Alejandro, me
...good ol Guatemalan BBQ at a park today :)
...good ol Guatemalan BBQ at a park today :)


No comments:
Post a Comment