Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 4th & La Casa de Dios

As I rode into work last Monday morning I noticed something odd: there were no guys on the street corner. Normally at this hour there are around 5-10 guys at one location and more by the library. Apparently it was the first day of work for a new security officer for the shopping center and he came up to them, telling them they can't be standing on the private property. It didn't take long for these guys to scatter away from their usual spot. That very day we had at least 4 new employers register at the center - it could have been coincidence and normal, but they also may have come to us because the contractors either A) saw the security officer patrolling and didn't want to cause problems or B) saw no guys outside at their usual spot - either way, it was something new and exciting. There was a similar pattern all week with no guys out on that corner; however, one morning I saw some lingering across the street by a Sunoco which is also property owned by the same jefe, so still not pleasing him. It continues to be a cat and mouse game at times, with security or police patrolling in some areas and workers fleeing to other spots but still out on corners and not "giving up their independence" by coming to the center. The reasons why they choose to stay out on the corner are much more complex and I've mentioned them before but here are just a few: lack of desire to move, fear, desiring visibility on streets, ignorance of system, not liking order, continuing to apply rules and traditions from one's own country, peer pressure and religious claim of interfering with God's will for granting jobs.


Last week was broken up by July 4th and we had a special BBQ picnic out at Bull Run Park for the CLRC & CIF community! Even though it was close to if not over 100 degrees outside, we had over 25 registered workers show up, plus many more community members such as volunteers and board members. Here's a bunch of exciting pictures:

volibol

bombomes asados 
(roasting marshmallows for first time!)

smores=a popular & delish success!

maíz asado ...yummm!

 
fútbol


group shot! (some guys ran from the camera...)


Today one of the guys from the center, Marcial, invited me to go to his church called Iglesia de Restauración Pentecostés Príncipe de Paz and it was awesome. It brought back memories of the evangelical church that I went to in Spain, singing similar songs and other worship music I recognized that are often used at DCF but were translated into Spanish. I felt so welcomed by everyone - many were confused whether they should greet me in Spanish or English, but were pleased and excited once they realized we could talk in Spanish together. Although I may not be able to be a regular member of the church due to my commitments at Wellspring UCC, I was thrilled to be able to join mis hermanos to worship, pray and praise God together. God continually reminds me of how BIG yet small His Kingdom is: He cuts across all cultural barriers and unites us through his everlasting love through Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment