Today was my first day off - wahoo! At first when I was told that I get to choose which day I get off between Monday and Saturday, I thought, geez I don't really need a day off...I have nothing else to do here in Centreville! Alas, I told them reluctantly that I'd take Thursday off. Little did I know how much I would enjoy a restful day, including sleeping in past nine rather than waking up at the usual 5:45 to go into work. It's helped me remember that I DO need to rest, whether it's to read, catch up with friends and family, simply be still in God's presence, sleep or nap (normally I cannot nap, but I have successfully done so at least twice on their hammock on the porch!).
This afternoon was our first official spiritual sojourning meeting. Devin came over to the house and Jerry led us in a discussion about reflecting on the past week. Part of what he'd like us to work on this summer is write our spiritual autobiography, essentially choosing at least 5 events or points in our lives and looking at how it influenced our spiritual lives. I've done something somewhat similar before, but I think this will be a good opportunity to really reflect about some pretty significant things in my life. I'm not sure what the final product will look like or anything, but looking forward to beginning this process!
I guess I found the meeting as a whole to be kinda interesting because of the emphasis on spirituality rather than focused Christianity, such as using the word meditation rather than prayer. It's hard to tell exactly, but Devin and I are on pretty different walks of faith. Just to share a tidbit, he said he has never read the bible, but did grow up in an Episcopal church. I think this could pose some challenges but also opportunities for growth for him and myself this summer. We're supposed to create "intentional community" as a part of this program, so what that looks like is yet to be defined. Molly, one of the workers at the center, is going to be joining us in the future and potentially Arjan, the other intern who I had talked to the other night, may join as well. So overall, it will be a pretty eclectic group, part of what will make it special!
Even though it's similar to one I already posted, I think this picture kind of encapsulates the group: Molly is funny, loud and sociable, Jerry is lots of smiles, Devin is himself (not sure what that means...perhaps inquisitive?) and I'm just laughing at them and also at how blessed I feel to be surrounded by these people in this unique opportunity this summer.
This is the whole group of interns, staff & site hosts at a BBQ last week during orientation in Raleigh, North Carolina. There are 13 of us serving at 6 different locations all over the states. We'll all be reunited in August in New Orleans for de-orientation.
This is the church in downtown DC where Alice, Jerry, Devin and I went for the Interfaith Service for DC Pride Week. More to come on that topic later, but just know that it was a pretty unique service, unlike anything I had been to before.
No comments:
Post a Comment