Monday, May 28, 2012

Another Adventure to Come

Wow, I can't believe how quick this semester flew by!!! Once again, I'm going to attempt to keep up with this blog thing over the summer as I embark on another adventure. Feel free to follow along for the ride!

Over the past few weeks, I've been asked multiple times the typical easy question: What will you be doing this summer? I honestly probably said something different every time. I usually would try to give as condensed of a version as possible, something along the lines of, I'll be volunteering at a labor resource center for immigrants in Virginia. Naturally, in come the followup questions:
What will I be doing at the center?
Why does the workers' center even exist?
Do they help legal AND illegal immigrants?
What will your host family be like?
Will you eat your meals with your host family?
What will you talk about with your spiritual mentor?
What will the church you attend be like?
Will you be using your Spanish?
Will you only be helping men at the center?
When will you work? Will you have much time off?
What will you do in your free time?
Do you know anyone in town?
How will you get around in town without a car?
All these...plus more. Although I know the answers to none of these questions, it does not bother me.
The best of all? Aren't you nervous?? I am not exactly certain that I am entirely nerve-free, but I am definitely at ease and thrilled to be blessed with this opportunity!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

I'll be flying out this Wednesday morning for Raleigh, North Carolina where we'll have orientation for a few days with everyone doing the Summer Communities of Service Program throughout the states in various locations. We'll then all go our own ways and I'll head to Centreville, VA where I'll be for the summer. Wahoo for going down south in the summertime! Here is a link about the resource center if you want to read more about it - http://www.centrevilleimmigrationforum.org/centreville-labor-resource-center.html .

To close and just for fun, here are a few pictures from this weekend in Burlington, VT with the family at the Vermont City Marathon! Loads of fun and so proud of Dad and Ry for conquering the whole thing!!



1 comment:

  1. You are so brave, sister. I love you and am so proud of you! <3 Ky

    ReplyDelete