Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where does the time go?

The past few weeks have been pretty busy, but full of Spanish fun, of course. Today I finished my last of 4 midterms this week...finally! I have a lot of little updates but I'll try to be brief.

-I've started to observe a "castellaño" class (which is another word for the Spanish language) that Salamanca Acoge offers to their clients who are immigrants from many different countries. Although I'm not learning much new grammar, more importantly, I'm learning a lot of things through simple observation and I've found it extremely interesting! The three classes I've gone to have more or less been the same students with a few missing or last week we had a new couple that had just arrived a few weeks earlier from Romania. There is quite the mixture of cultural backgrounds in the class: Moroccans, Germans, Bulgarians, Brazilians, Romanians and Albania. Because they all have different native languages, all of the class is taught in Spanish, regardless of how limited their vocabularies may be. This is definitely a struggle at times and is a different idea to me because if we didn't understand something in one of my Spanish classes in high school, our teacher would simply say it in English - but there isn't that second language to simply utilize. One thing I definitely love about the class is that everyone is more or less willing to jump in with the teacher and try to help explain something, for example defining a word in other well-known Spanish words. The instructor told me last class that I'm going to teach the next class...yikes!! Luckily, he'll be in the room with me, but I've never taught any sort of class before, let alone taken any edu classes (other than the grammar one I'm in right now at USAL), let alone try to teach beginner students with entirely different language levels and backgrounds. Regardless, I'm happy to have the opportunity to do so!

-A few weeks ago, Katie & I ventured to Alba de Tormes, a small town about 30 minutes outside of Salamanca by bus. We got off at the deserted bus station and literally had no idea where to go with no maps or anything. It was actually quite comical. Eventually we found a gas station where they pointed us in the right direction (simultaneously internally laughing at us touristy students). We hadn't planned it, but it happened to be a day of festivals in the town for Santa Teresa, so there was a parade, concert and lots of tourists!
This is the remains of the castle of the Dukes of Alba, a tower that we visited.
A view from the top of the tower.
Plaza Mayor of Alba de Tormes

The Spaniards historically seem to have a liking of preserving body parts of religious or significant figures...for example:
The finger of San Juan de la Cruz (Saint John of the Cross)

The heart of Santa Teresa de Ávila

The arm of Santa Teresa de Ávila - the other arm was "used" by Franco to extend his lifespan, or so he thought as he had it next to him while he slept every night.

Yes, "la playa" (beach)! One of my goals for this semester was to go to the beach...

And this is what it was. Although it's not the most beautiful shoreline, I indeed went to a beach here in Spain.

Also, we happened to stumble upon a parade and decided to join in! We probably didn't fit in with lots of kids & families surrounding us, but it was fun nonetheless. They were throwing out candies & there was a marching band plus some men dressed up in a costume with a large head...pictures will do more justice.


Because it was the festival of Saint Teresa (which is the Saint of my señora), we had a little celebration later on that afternoon. Her son sent her a huge bouquet of flowers & a selection galletas (cookies) from a local bakery that were delivered. We drank coffee (yes, that includes me, the not-so-coffee-drinker - granted she made it light for me) & ate cookies to celebrate her special day, which to them is essentially like a birthday.

-Last weekend my friend Katie & I went to see Cenicienta (Cinderella) ballet performed by the Cuban Ballet Company. It was absolutely incredible. Katie & I are both dancers who've done pointe and know how painful & challenging it is, yet these ballerinas made it look like a piece of cake. And the men were absolutely phenomenal too, jumping so incredibly high - so much talent! It was really cool to be able to appreciate it not only as dancers but while in Spain because there were no words so nothing was lost in translation. The whole story line was told through the movements of the body and I absolutely love dance...in case you didn't know that already :) The second act was spectacular with ballet routines that had a Spanish flavor to it and some even used the castanets in their hands! I can't rave enough about the performance. It was phenomenal & definitely a highlight of my semester so far!
Katie & I before the show :)
Bows at the end of the incredible performance! The choreographer (Alicia Alonso) is up front...she was a prima ballerina and is the director of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba.

-This week the IES office has been decorated for Halloween! Today there were fun activities, like guess how many garbanzo beans are in the jar & a pumpkin carving contest. Aly & I did a spectacular job...we'll find out shortly who won but the winner gets a GIANT basket of candy, so it's a pretty big deal! Tonight we went on a spooky tour (or in Spanglish: espuki) of Salamanca, learning about lots of different legends, myths and truthful historical stories, including ones about witches and about a priest with supreme powers to do thousands of miracles in his lifetime.
IES office all decked-out!

Aly & I with our design

Our final product!! (hope you can all tell what it is!)

La Cueva de Salamanca, where legend has it, there were classes of witchcraft & Satanism held here many centuries ago.

-I've continued to go to the events with En Vivo and I love it! I am always meeting new people not only from Spain but from Germany, Africa and other regions of the world. I'm also loving the Evangelical Church that I mentioned before. The community has been a true blessing for me. Praise God for his continual presence as a God of the Universe, not just Gettysburg or Pittsford!
Here is a picture from the outside of the church.
Last week I went on an official tour of the cathedrals, where we got to go up to high balconies & see great views of the churches & the city. These pictures show quite the contrast between the Catholic church and a non-Catholic church in the same city. (Although, in the end, does it matter what the church looks like?!?)




Here is a glimpse of some other things I have stumbled upon in Salamanca during the past few weeks:
A street dance competition in Plaza Mayor

Beautiful street art - very common here & not too rare to have some that are actually pretty talented pieces of art!

A well in Huerto (garden) de Calixto y Melibea. It was in a famous piece of Spanish literature of the 15th century (I believe...) & couples come to put a padlock with their names on it on this well to signify their everlasting love.

Parade for Día de la Hispanedad. It's the Spanish version of celebrating Columbus' discovery of America & the spread of the Spanish Kingdom. There were lots of cultural events, including this parade with people representing all different Hispanic countries.

A protest on one of the main streets with tons of people of all ages. I don't think I've ever witnessed a protest in real life...I've only experienced them through the news & images. The passion was pretty contagious, even if I'm not personally affected by what they are fighting for.

Above you can see how streets are labeled in Salamanca-obvisouly it can be a challenge to navigate with a) extremely small signs b) streets that like to change names frequently c) streets that lack any sign to indicate it's name d) many small windy roads (the city is not set up like NYC, to say the least). The monument below the street sign is in honor of a woman who died in that very place (our religion professor told us about many sights around the city with similar monuments that Kate & I ventured out to find a few weeks ago).

Dance show in Plaza Mayor!!



And then the protest showed up and decided to stay & continue their chants throughout the performance. But...the show must go on and it did!

Once again, I failed at keeping it brief. Hopefully I didn't bore you all with my full-length essay here and I'll try to update more often!
¡Abrazos a todos!

1 comment: