Friday, September 9, 2011

Esteriotipos

So this evening I came face to face with many stereotypes that are engrained in our heads. As I was crossing the street while walking back to my apartment this evening, an older gentleman smiled and waved at me and said "Hasta luego!" (Until then/later!) I found it kinda odd, especially because of what we had been told in the previous orientation session about people on the streets not being real friendly. I simply waved back and said "adios" or something along those lines and he continued to walk in my direction and asked me "Don't you remember me from the other day?" I was pretty confused at first because I was certain that I hadn't seen him before but he was convinced that he had talked to me and some of my friends who are also "alemanias" (Germans) at the Plaza de Mayor. I was still confused but kinda went along with it because he was super friendly and it was a very public place with lots of people around so I felt safe talking with him as we simply walked along. At first we just made small talk about the university here and how I came here to study Spanish, la la la. But then he started talking about students from the US and how all they do when they come here to Salamanca is drink alcohol and never spend enough time studying. At first, I thought "Unfortunately, yes, that's how many college students are...in fact I'd say many of the people in my program like to drink alcohol [some in moderation, some not so much]. At the same time, I think most of us are still hard workers, at least from what I can tell so far. He was essentially saying that students from other European countries work harder here than Americans and that he loves getting to know them more because they aren't egoistic and alcoholics. How he gets to know them, I'm not so sure. He kept insisting that he never calls students if they give him their number and that he simply likes to walk with them and chat intelligently about life. If a student (boy or girl) asks him to get coffee or go to an apartment with him, he always refuses. (Keep in mind that the whole time we were talking, he thought I was some German girl that he had talked to earlier - however, both are false, even though I am about 25% German I'm not necessarily from Germany.)

He continued to chat with me & he gave me "consejos" (advice) for my time here. Some that I could actually fully understand and enjoy:
-When you are in class, look around and find the students who are actually studying hard. Those are the students you want to become friends with after class.
-If a boy comes up to you on the streets, tell him to back away - always be confident in yourself. If a girl comes up to you on the streets, especially in the Plaza de Mayor (a large open space with tons of people and stores-the background picture of my blog), you can be more open to having a conversation with her. You must still use your common sense about individuals, but las chicas tend to be more friendly and safe to converse with.
-Trust God at all times. Have faith, for it will take you very far in life. (He showed me a picture of Jesus Christ that he carries with him in his wallet at all times to remind him of this.)
-Hold your memories close to your head but most importantly in your heart, for that is where they will be treasured.

We basically said our goodbyes and left it up to destiny & Dios (God) if we'd see each other on the streets to say a friendly "hola" on another day.

I realized that not only does he have esteriotipos (stereotypes) of Americans but I have a stereotype for Spaniards on the streets. I would have never guessed from simply passing him on the sidewalk that he was a really friendly, intelligent, welcoming and faithful man - EXCEPT for his smile & wave & greeting. I mentioned to him that I try to smile at people on the street but that it isn't well received - he told me I am the one who must initiate it & just give it a try. It's all about being open minded but smart.

Who knew I could have such a warm conversation with a complete stranger on the streets. (Granted, I know this won't happen often!) Gracias a Dios for sending a little reminder that I'm never isolated here :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Al! This is seriously such a great story : ) I love when God pushes down walls that we put up! Just remain in step with the Spirit, hearing His voice where He directs you to keep you safe :)

    ReplyDelete