Thursday, June 9, 2011

Run run run!

So if you had told me even six months ago that I'd be able to run a half marathon, I would never ever believe you.

Sure enough, April 30th I did it. Thanks to the constant encouragement of my dear friend and running buddy, Melissa, I was able to run 13.1 miles for DCF's (DiscipleMakers of Christian Fellowship) Fun Run. It makes such a big difference to be running along side someone else. Melissa and I ran the whole thing side by side, continually encouraging one another to go all the way to the end. It gave me such a sense of accomplishment finishing those 13.1 miles, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it without trusting that God constantly protects me and the support of my friends at school.

Since May 15 when I got home from Gettysburg, I've already run in 3 races...!
Sunday May 22nd I did the Lilac Festival 10K with my dad and Ryan, which was a blast, regardless of the heat.
Sunday May 29th I did the relay for the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington. Ryan, Linnea, Aunt Laurie, a family friend and I were on a relay team and Kylie and my Dad split the half marathon. My dad's goal was to be able to run with all four of his kids and he did it! He didn't stop at the half-way point like he planned to but ended up running over 20 miles. He is crazy but so dedicated! I was able to run with him and Kylie for a while...it was really hot and humid out but luckily some people had sprinklers out for us to go through and handing out fruit and water in their neighborhoods. I was the fourth leg runner, but regardless of the heat, I felt so energized and ready to keep running when I finished my leg that I decided to run to the finish with Kylie and my Aunt Laurie to end with 11 miles.
Saturday June 4th I ran the Girls on the Run 5K with my friend Michelle from my summer UF program. This run was for girls mostly ages 8-12 who have been in a 10 week program working on learning about self image, nutrition and exercise, specifically training for this run. One of our supervisors was a coach for this program so we ran along with her team and other girls, going from clump to clump to cheer them on. It was so much fun to be an encouragement to these girls, thinking that perhaps this program is helping make them more excited to be active, helping them see that exercise can be fun!

It may sound crazy to some people that have known me for my whole life as the dancer not the runner of the family, but indeed it is true! I am a runner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment